Block a site on your PC
Are you trying to block a website on your PC? You need not setup firewall filters to do this. Here is a simple trick to block the site on your system. Although many of you know this, this is for the unknown....
First of all I need to describe about the "Hosts" file
It is a file located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc , and it contains information about the hosts on your system...
Here are the steps
1. Go to the location C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
2. You will find a file by name "hosts" with no extension.
3. Open that file in "Notepad"
4. Go to the bottom of the page where you could find the following line "127.0.0.1 localhost"
5. Now add another line at the bottom for ex: "127.0.0.1 http://www.xyz.com/ localhost"
6. This line will block the site http://www.xyz.com
The trick behind this
127.0.0.1 is the IP address of local system the so called loop back address... Now when you enter a site the browser will first check the hosts file and then it would go for the DNS service of your ISP.
Now we have added the Ip address of the xyz site as 127.0.0.1, so the browser will assume that 127.0.0.1 is the IP address of the xyz site and will connect to the local host itself and so the websites doesn't get opened...
This is the basic trick to block and we can overcome it very easily.....